Friday, October 4, 2013

Plan Ahead

One key to eating and cooking healthy is planning ahead. Ever stand in the grocery store looking around thinking, "What am I going to eat this week?!" Or, standing and staring into the fridge? Look at your week schedule. When can you take an hour to cook? One hour. That's it.
Even though I love to cook I also love to open the fridge when I have to leave for rehearsal in 20 minutes and grab something to eat. So I plan ahead. I look at my schedule to see when I have a bit of free time. I like to cook things in multiples or big portions so it will last a few days, sometimes even a week. Like the chickpea veggie burgers I made earlier this week. Took me one hour and it made 9. Because there isn't any meat in them, they will actually last in the fridge.
You might think, "I can use that hour doing something else." But stop and think about how important your health and energy are. Instead of reaching for that frozen dinner, you can reach for something homemade - with ingredients you understand.

Here's the delicious chickpea burger recipe:

Makes approx 8 patties

1 can chickpeas, mashed
1 celery stalk chopped finely
1 grated carrot
1/2 minced onion
1/4 cup flour OR 3 tblsp corn starch
1 egg
lots of herbs and spices
oil for cooking (preferably olive oil)

Mix all ingredients together. Form into patties and lightly fry until golden brown.
Be sure to really work the patties in your hands before putting them in the pan. I find they stay together better.
Move to a cooling rack until completely cooled. Store in an air tight container in the fridge.
For the herbs and spices I used fresh basil and parsley, dried thyme, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper. If you can eat fresh garlic, put that in there! Unfortunately, I can't eat fresh garlic, so all of my recipes are garlic free. You can really add any spices and herbs you like. The burgers on their own are really bland so you can take the flavour any way you want!


How can you go wrong? Chop, mix, form, fry, DONE.

I like to top them with lettuce and salsa on a whole grain bun.
To reheat - If you're in a hurry microwave them for approx 30 seconds. If you have some time you can use the oven which will make them a little crispy. 375F for approx 15-20 minutes.
So now you have 8 healthy vegetarian meals that will last you the week.

Enjoy!

~Hannah

Remember, a healthy mind and body equals a happy and healthy dancer.